Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Study: Effectiveness Drops in Departing Teachers' Final Year

Study: Effectiveness Drops in Departing Teachers' Final Year

The article is about how teachers who leave in their 3rd or 4th year of teaching have an overall less-effective final year than the 3rd or 4th year for someone who stays at least 5 years.

Even more interesting to me is that the study the article was written about found that teacher effectiveness tends to level off after 3 years of teaching. I'm trying to think back about whether or not that was true for me. I definitely think I made the most growth in years 1-3, but I'd hate to think I haven't really improved at all since the end of my 3rd year. I'd say it's more likely that my effectiveness started to level off when my masters program ended and I was no longer regularly asked to examine my teaching practices and improve upon them.

At the end of the article, the author poses the question about whether we should put our resources toward making sure teachers are as good as possible before the end of their third year of teaching. An interesting idea... kind of worrisome though considering that most teachers are past their third year and public education as a whole needs drastic improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment